[governance] SECOND DRAFT suggested statement on MAG's future

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu May 6 03:16:47 EDT 2010

On 06/05/2010, at 2:59 PM, Imran Ahmed Shah wrote:

> With reference to the “SECOND DRAFT suggested statement on MAG's future”, please find a proposal for the reorganization of the membership of Internet Governance Forum for open discussion and consensus:
>
> Instead of single group as MAG, I suggest at least three multi-stakeholder groups in IGF to discuss issues related to Internet governance:-

Something like this has come up before.  At the earliest stage of the IGF, before the Athens meeting, the Group of 77 and China proposed having three separate bureaus for each of the three main stakeholder groups.

The late Francis Muguet (through ENSTA and EUROLINC) put forward a similar proposal for a "four components" bureau, adding the technical community.  And speaking for myself, I put forward something similar in my proposal for a "consociational bureau" for the IGF as developed in my thesis and the book that followed from it.

Having said all that, I don't think that there is currently much support for such ideas on this list.  Even so, I think it is well worth actively discussing.  I have personally believed for a long time that, in practical terms, it is only through such a lightly-separated structure that gives more autonomy to each of the stakeholder groups, that the IGF can move forward.  (But I realise that I am in a minority about that.)

Maybe a step forward (regardless of the reception of your idea on this list) would be for you to post it as an individual as an input to the May open consultation and MAG meeting.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.