AW: [governance] DESA information meeting on IGF continuation in New

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Tue Mar 30 03:47:58 EDT 2010

Dear list

to be frank I see this procedure, chosen by UNDESA, as a provocation and in sharp contrast to the principles of the Tunis Agenda.

Why this letter was send out only to the permanent missions in New York when the meeting is open to all other stakeholders? How serious is this invitation to non-governmental stakeholders if the invitation is send out on such a short notice and with a very limited distribution? Under such conditions there will be only a very small number of non-governmental representatives available for a discussion. Is this the intention of the meeting to be formally open but de facto closed? Why such a meeting was not announced via the IGF website? Why UNDESA did not use other channels - including the various mailing lists - to inform about such a consultation which is obviously important for the future of the IGF as a whole?

I understand that governments need a space where they can discuss internally their issues and procedures. It would have been better when this meeting would have been declared as a closed internal intergovernmental IGF consultation. But to give the impression this is a consultation open for all stakeholdery by reducing the opportunity for non-governmental stakeholders to be present and to organize it in this way gives the a meeting the bad taste of a tricky procedure aimed at exclusion and deal making behind closed doors against the principles of openess, transparency and bottom up PDP. Governments in the IGF are an important partner. But they are embedded into a multistakeholder environment. The IGF is not an intergovernmental body. Such dubious meetings produce mistrust in a process which should and has to be based on confidence among the stakeholders.

What will happen with the report of this meeting?  Who was there? Can we get any reporting back from it?

Wolfgang