[governance] how about this... M$ preaching for world governance of the Internet?

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 14 14:49:00 EDT 2010

Carlos,
(my tiny mind kept bringing me back to the paragraphs below)

This reading took me back to around 2001-3.  ICANN was taking off and grabbing/establishing itself as an influence in international circles and becoming an actual force in governance, protocals and naming.

The General Assembly was a place of much debate and critical writing of the power structure. Karl had been elected on to the Board but another election was a fat chance.

The voices were not quite voices crying out in the wilderness. But they were ragtag and fustrated and reviled.  The leaders were plucked out of the group and given cherries for changing positions more in line with the truth as directed from the BoD top down. Never once was a kudo or recognition to go out to the GA. At every chance powers and bylaws were changed without public input and even the voices there were quelled or ran off to
Acadamia or the burdgeoning money making Blogs/Magaizines where advertisement and linkage payed the way.

But to this day the individuals survive and write there and challenge encroachment and lack of transparency and openness. I dubbed such a place "Accountability Headquarters". A double meaning 1. there is no accountablility ergo no headquarters and 2. The only Headquarters in accountability is the Individual who speaks up.

We must seperate the roles we play. We must distinguish between that which we do and say for our personal/financial reasons and that which we do for the good of the Net.  Many are not like myself.  They cannot say what is on their mind because it may negatively effect their livelihood. Again the concepts of Parminders' corporate personhood controls. So it is not so easy a thing to say that it is up to us as individuals but it is danged hard to do.

For all those constricted and restricted from voicing what they believe, I ask that you find a surrogate friend and influence them. Write privately that which you cannot publicly. Be passionate and convince others to carry on the torch. Yes the Idea does not require you, but the idea needs someone.