[governance] Strangeness in the IGF programme

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sat Mar 6 10:21:05 EST 2010

To elaborate further, with permission of the Caribbean Internet Forum Chair, Courtney Jackson's attached remarks excerpted from the forthcoming report on the 7th CIF, summarize its history and accomplishments.

These include drafting text on regional IG in 2006/7 essentially at request/on behalf of national political leaders and regional institutions. To cite one specific example.

Another time the message was initiated from the private sector - re a looming bandwidth collapse as undersea fibers neared their expiration date - and spurred regulators to streamline processes so new investors would feel welcome to lay fiber in the region.

Of course scale of Caribbean vs whole world makes IGF challenges in crafting messages different.

But maintaining flexibility in form and process is key for ensuring messages may have practical impact.

Lee