[governance] Parminder's exchange with Bertrand

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 13:44:11 EST 2010

Milton,

Just an interesting quote on that concept of personal or individual
sovereignty :

*State sovereignty, in its most basic sense, is being redefined—not least by
the forces of globalisation and international co-operation. States are now
widely understood to be instruments at the service of their peoples, and not
vice versa. At the same time individual sovereignty—by which I mean the
fundamental freedom of each individual, enshrined in the charter of the **UN
** and subsequent international treaties—has been enhanced by a renewed and
spreading consciousness of individual rights. When we read the charter
today, we are more than ever conscious that its aim is to protect individual
human beings, not to protect those who abuse them.*

This paragraph is by none other than Kofi Annan in a 1999 article in the
Economist titled : *Two concepts of sovereignty*.
Accessible here : http://www.un.org/News/ossg/sg/stories/kaecon.html

The article was written about military interventions, in the wake of the
Kosovo situation. It's interesting to read it now, in light of what has
happened in the first few years of the XXIst century. Many quesstions K.
Annan raised are still incredibly accurate.

But another quote from the same article resonates with something we
exchanged earlier in this thread :

A new, broader definition of national interest is needed in the new century,
which would induce states to find greater unity in the pursuit of common
goals and values. In the context of many of the challenges facing humanity
today, the collective interest *is* the national interest.

Best

Bertrand

--