[governance] Strangeness in the IGF programme

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Tue Mar 2 07:29:38 EST 2010

Grande Milton, you would not stand one day in a regular, closed MAG
session -- your blood pressure would raise to exploding levels :)

The level of discussions barely touches the surface of the issues. Not
to speak of the open session -- the last one became a bit
interesting only when UNDESA, basically influenced by the
Chinese, unilaterally announced a change of rules, kicking out CSTD,
which surprised even the CSTD people in the room (interesting because
revealed deep divergences within UN regarding the future of the IGF
and/or how it should be manipulated) -- the objective seems to be to
restrict the decision on the future of the IGF to the intergovernmental
level only.

Gone are the days of the struggle to make sure crucial issues such as
logical infrastructure's governance should be included as main themes
(with the resulting fits-anything "Critical Internet Resources" being
inserted in the IGF Rio meeting). Now the MAG is basically reduced to
concluding phrases generic enough to, for one, satisfy the Chinese, and
go through the filter of the well-organized business front. Even the
sometimes lively discussions in the igf-members list (an opportunity to
deepen the issues) are history.

One of the promising "collateral effects" of the IGF is the several
national/regional IGFs (which might continue even if this UN thing
disappears) -- but in the last MAG the UN made sure that there will be
little time for regional meetings to report back and have a reasonable
space to debate their reports in the plenary. However, let us recall
that in the IGF Sharm-el-Sheik nearly one full day was consumed in local
government's rituals...

So...

--c.a.

Carlos A. Afonso