[governance] IGC Workshop 56 urgent

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Jun 29 11:49:31 EDT 2010

In message <9E87063B-9CB3-4586-BAAC-8110C8BA9665 at ciroap.org>, at
18:00:01 on Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> writes
>On a procedural issue, I think we can suggest some improvements to this
>process whereby the fate of a workshop depends on a decision made in
>the room, even if the workshop proponents are not available.

The decisions were made on the basis of the proposals filed (some time
ago) with the secretariat, with quite clear deadlines. That's a 100%
"remote participation" exercise.

All that happened in the room today, was some special pleading which
allowed a few workshops, whose proposals didn't meet the well known
criteria, to be given a reprieve.

At the last count, that resulted in 96 sessions, well above the number
that was hoped for. And there are quite a few qualifying proposals
"missing in action" that will add to that. Nine parallel streams, plus
the main sessions.

Unlike last year, there were relatively few "forced marriages" between
two similar workshops. Most of that (for some of the themes anyway) was
done at the *previous* meeting.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org