[governance] Hi norbert,nance] ICANN declined Bulgarian IDN fast-track

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Jun 29 01:36:19 EDT 2010

On 06/28/2010 12:42 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> leading digits are being considered unsafe.

Really?

We've had names in DNS with leading digits ever since the inception of
DNS - we have the very early (from the 1980's) example "3com.com".

And doing a whois query for names with leading digits e.g. whois 3\*
tends to reveal that names with leading digits are rather common.

There is, of course an ambiguity when the FQDN (fully qualified domain
name) contains exactly four labels and each label consists of from one
to three digits which, if treated as a value, range from 0 to 255.  In
that case the name looks a lot like an IPv4 address.  That, of course,
can be remedied by banning TLDs consisting of 0-3 digits that would have
a value of 0 to 255.

(Is there is any similar potential ambiguity with IPv6 addresses?)

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org