[governance] Horror on the Cloud: the plight of a user against an answering machine corporation

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 07:54:00 EDT 2010

Hello

This is a link from a PFIR list message with a different caption. The story
is worthy of attention for several reasons, one of which is the predicament
of a user trapped as a customer of a large corporation that increasingly
hides behind a BPO barrier that shuts out direct connection. Happens at
Yahoo, happens at Visa or Mastercard, this barrier helps corporations
conduct their businesses without the fear of f2f contact with the customer.

Sivasubramanian M

Yahoo has shut down Brent Stinski's business,Media
Predict<http://www.mediapredict.com/>,
which is a fantasy market game for TV shows and movies, without warning.
Brent Stinski narrates his difficulties in establishing contact with Yahoo:

*It took three more hours to locate a support number. Eventually I found one
> on my credit card bill.*

*With the consistency of a World Cup soccer wall, support referred me
straight to Yahoo Abuse. They also made it clear that nobody talks to Yahoo
Abuse:*

*- “Abuse doesn’t take calls. All you can do is e-mail them.”*

*- “We don’t even have a contact number for them.”*

*- “We have no idea what Abuse does once we hand tickets on to them. We
never see the outcomes.”*

*- “No one here has had any contact with Abuse or can tell you how they
normally operate.”*

*- “We don’t know their hours or if they work on the weekends.”*

*So I e-mailed. An auto-reply promised a response within 24 to 48 hours – I
waited 90.*