[governance] [5 of 6] How best to link with regional meetings?

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 24 08:28:45 EDT 2010

Some comments in italics interwoven:

--- On Thu, 6/24/10, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

How best to link with regional meetings?

The main issue that this question raises, as I see it, is whether there should be a stronger link between the regional meetings and the central one.  If so, we need to consider and provide feedback on questions such as:
What criteria should the regional/national IGFs satisfy in order to qualify for this stronger linkage?  For example, how open and multi-stakeholder must they be, and how transparent and inclusive their organisation?  For the most part we should require transparency and openness so we may measure the credibility but not as a tool for exclusion.If there should be a set of criteria that regional/national IGFs must meet, how and by whom should it be developed? Open consultations on the most open and active list regarding IG -- HereShould it be permitted to have more than one IGF per region or country, or should the global IGF enforce a rule that only one event per region or country can be officially recognised? No - Res Ipsa LoquitorShould the programme of the regional/national IGFs be coordinated with that of the global IGF?  If so, how? - perhaps through some sort of global council of IGFs? Yes - openly formed and then mandated to set their own
 criteria and standards.Should written reports of regional/national IGFs be distributed to the global IGF? Of course - Why not -- we should be looking for input not claiming the lie of too much.Should verbal reports from regional/national IGFs be given at a main session at the global IGF? Only restriction should be if the impetus is there to try.Should panelists from the other IGFs be given priority in selection for panels at the global IGF? Priority is unnecessary - our field of choices is too narrow as it is.Should each session organiser at the global IGF be required to give an opportunity for reports relevant to that session from regional/national IGF organisers? Mandated opportunity is more efficient than exercising discretion on each. -- My version of a Chair would obviate this need - while Jefsey's would need a strict process.
 http://www.ted.com/pages/view/id/351.
-- Jeremy Malcolm