[governance] An important discussion o free expression at the ICANN meeting

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 23 10:27:25 EDT 2010

Milton,

I cringed at the US stance.  These IP lawyer dudes are going too far.  This last decade of infringing on freedom of speech by a prior restraint threat and political meddling is one or our darkest decades. When we combine this with the constant cries from religions that cry some sacrosanct right to thought via word use it is becoming scary.
We are beginning to see striking similarities in approach with terrorism and global multinational megacorps.  One is abusing law to strike terror. And the other is being more honest and striking with terror against the law.  Bloodshed is horrible, but subterfuge and lies strike harder at more than corporeal needs and mere flesh and bone.  Some ideals, like freedom of speech cannot die lest we as a civilization die with them.

I believe that good thinkers should take hard looks at concepts such as "hate" speech.  We should revisit the concept of speech that "incites". And we must work hard at returning the freedom of speech to a higher position than the right to own speech.