[governance] [3 of 6] How best to nominate the MAG Chair?

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Jun 11 17:38:25 EDT 2010

At 13:39 11/06/2010, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>There have been a few really good comments coming through on
>questions 1 and 2 (thank you!), but please keep them
>flowing.  Question 3 is closely related:
>
>How best to nominate the MAG Chair?
>
>Here are a few examples of options we might recommend:
>
>1. A single UN-based Chair is appointed by the UN Secretary-General
>(as at present).
>
>2. The UNSG appoints one Chair, and a co-chair is appointed by the
>host country (as was tried for the Brazil IGF meeting).
>
>3. The MAG appoints its own chair (by a vote or by consensus).
>
>4. The MAG appoints two co-chairs for alternating two-year terms
>(much like we do in the IGC).
>
>In the case of options 3 and 4, we might also require that the
>chair/s, if not independent (ie. UN-based), would be from a
>different stakeholder group at each rotation.
>
>Are any of the above to be preferred, or can any be swiftly
>rejected?  Are there any other options you can think of?

If you are serious about the question of nominating someone to
represent three billions of people make a monthly rotational
chairmanship attributed by drawing lots. This way he will not
represent the people themselves (how do you want to do that?), but
the position will structurally exemplify their diversity and the
individual autonomy of the constituant.

Democracy is over. We are now entered in Polycracy where
representation is not by selection or election (vote of one
priviligied person, or by every person), but exemplification. The
less previsible one for the less previsible time is the best way to
be sure that no personal agenda will be supported, and that the
consensuses being reached by this Chairmanship will be external as
well as internal, i.e. stronger and better. Also, you cannot bribe the dices.

JFC