[governance] [2 of 6] How best to nominate non governmental

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Jun 11 15:04:40 EDT 2010

I don't agree. IGC is the closest thing there is to a global nexus for civil society discussion of IG. If the Secretariat or UN were to ratify it as the basis for selection, then many others would join it. Whatever the flaws and limitations of IGC, it is much more transparent and open a space for CS than people sidling up to their governments or businesses behind the scenes and asking them to be appointed to "represent" CS.

The truth of my assertion can stand up to a very simple test: name ONE other organization or process that is superior to IGC in any important respect: embedded knowledge of IGF and its processes; more active participation by CS people involved in IG; linkages to WSIS and its resolutions and processes. Name one.

A nominating committee? Don't make me laugh. Appointed by whom? Using what process?
Nominating committees are just ways for insider groups to perpetuate themselves. We all know this from the ICANN process.

--MM
     governance at lists.cpsr.org