[governance] [2 of 6] How best to nominate non governmental members for the MAG?

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Jun 8 00:26:13 EDT 2010

Continuing the questions from the MAG questionnaire (http://intgovforum.org/cms/the-preparatory-process/510), comes the second question:

How best to nominate non governmental members for the MAG?

Some options are:

(a) The existing "black box" approach whereby the United Nations Secretary General selects from a range of nominees put forward by various parties - selection criteria are not publicly available.

(b) The IGC (that is, we) could choose, based on certain selection criteria to ensure diversity etc, that are currently within the "black box" but would be made public.

(c) A new nominating committee, selected from a pool of civil society volunteers, could put forward candidates based on the selection criteria - similar to what we do internally in the IGC, and also used by other IG institutions such as the IETF.

(d) Another civil society umbrella group could nominate them.  This could be the WSIS Civil Society Plenary (which no longer really exists, but it may be necessary to re-form it before 2015), or an entirely new peak body.

Which of these options do you prefer?  Can you think of others?

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.