[governance] Fwd: [] CALL FOR STATEMENTS OF INTEREST: ALAC-selected

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Jul 23 05:14:50 EDT 2010

On 07/22/2010 06:34 PM, Cheryl Langdon-Orr wrote:
> Hi Karl and list,  inserted below is (part) of an email I sent on this
> matter to the NARALO list from a question raised by Avri on the matter
> of approved processes... I trust these links will assist you re
> background on this...

All of the materials are "draft" of "preliminary".  Indeed even a
proposed bylaw amendment is still open for comment.

One usually discovers that it is unwise to pour concrete before the
architectural design is established.

In other words it is premature to start gathering names.

In addition the proposed methods are in conflict with our
recommendations in the board-level review of the at-large that the
process for the public to chose its ICANN director(s) reach far beyond
the bounds of the ALAC to encompass potentially any interested person
affected by the internet whether or not that person chooses to
participate in any ALAC body or sub-body.

As it stands it appears that what is being created is a YANC - Yet
Another Nominating Committee.  In which case an appropriate question
would be "why bother?"

Which brings to mind MacBeth's metaphor upon hearing of the death of his
wife: have all of our years of effort to give the community of internet
users a real voice within ICANN come to be nothing more than "a tale
told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"?

	--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org