[governance] curious note on nairobi and brussels...

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Sun Jul 4 12:22:11 EDT 2010

Dear people,

When ICANN proposed to hold their meeting in Nairobi, there came an
avalanche of reports and fears -- above all, a statement from the US
government warning all of us not to go due to serious security concerns.

The ones who went (I was there) found a wonderful people, a nice
country, we learned a lot visiting museums and other places -- above
all, we were at least as safe as in our home towns.

Now, in Brussels, one of us had its bag forcefully stolen at the central
train station. Nothing of this sort happened in Kenya. Our NCUC friend
Marcelo Fernandes Costa had about Eu5,000 in equipment and money stolen
in the capital of Europe. When he approached a policeman to report the
robbery, the Belgian shook his shoulders as if saying "nothing new...".

Why didn't the US government and other "mandarins of worldwide security"
warn us about the serious risks we run when in civilized Europe???

--c.a.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org