[governance] [6 of 6] How best to link with international

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Jul 2 09:23:47 EDT 2010

Jeremy,

the IGF was designed to assemble dynamic coalitions of control of
enhanced cooperations having precise charters in terms of governance
actions. Enhanced cooperations stay limited to the ISOCANN for IP
address (mis)management and the care(ful limitation) of the namespace
on economic/marketing grounds. ISOCANN reports to the UN are .. limited.

I observe that due to a generalised lack of command of the Internet
technology abilities, the private sector was able to convinced the
regalian area and the international community that it should stay in
control for stability sake. Now, this governance by the Industry
(ISOC and Unicode Members, ICANN sponsors, registries, and
registrars) has the possibility to change due to the coming change of
architectural nature in the internet and its namespace as examplified
by the IDNA2008 documents. The root has already become a matrix, the
domain names have switched from being identifiers and became
designators on my machines. It happens that this results from the
Internet lead users, i.e. the civil society implication into the
world digital ecosystem (WDE) adminance. This is the occasion for the
civil society to articulate an enhanced cooperation to govern these
new issues and opportunities. Once the IAB has clarified its
positions on all of this, the ball will be in our field.

Keeping looping on the private sector assigned circuit will lead us
to nowhere new. It is time to be prepared to quit that business best
interest enforced-sensus and get at our own interest in life: the
civil society best interest. The best way to prepare this is to
consider two major topics from a strict civil society point of view
(that is if the civil society intends to keep representing end users):

- the enhanced cooperations' nature, advised organisation and
initiating process. Because we will to initiate at least one
including ICANN or not.
- the governance expectations from the technology and of its
emergences. The internet of the future has first to be a response to
the users' needs. I am surprised that the IETF also has to invent
what the users should need.

Otherwise, the civil society should consider as a priority to
formulate a new process permitting the users to benefit/participate
into the IGF debate rather than to probably see a new grassroot
internet and societal development outside of the IGF meeting point.

jfc