[governance] Re: Preliminary results of consensus call on IGC:

linda misek-falkoff ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 13:01:37 EST 2010

Hi Ginger, Paul *et al:*

Just a quick echo of appreciation.  Category sorting is often such a big job
and brava  bravo for undertaking it especially in a super timely and super
relevant content  domain.,.

Warm regards from cold New York,

Linda; M F.

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Ginger Paque <gpaque at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 1/31/10, Fearghas McKay <fm-lists at st-kilda.org> <fm-lists at st-kilda.org> wrote:
>
>  The membership list is from the recent election, you had to be a
> member to vote in the Charter Change vote.
>
> Membership is gained by voting in the co-ordinator election according
> to the current constitution/charter document.
>

> Precisely because of these points and questions raised by Paul Lehto and
> others, it is obvious that we do need to have a review, analysis and
> clarification process of our voting procedures. This was discussed last
> year, and several people, including Paul Lehto and Fearghas McKay, perhaps
> Ian and Parminder, as well as myself, have offered to work on this. The work
> is projected to start as soon as possible after the February OC in Geneva,
> and I think that Paul is already doing a preliminary review.
>
> My interpretation is that the "separate" list possibility came up when we
> needed to establish a "number" of actual IGC members, in order to decide on
> the number of votes needed to approve a charter amendment. Since our mailing
> list consists of email addresses, not "people" or even names, and in fact
> has multiple email addresses for some people, it is difficult to use that
> list as a basis to establish this number.
>
> For that reason, we have been drawing up a "member's list" which includes
> those who have exercised their right to vote in recent elections, so we know
> they are active members. Others who have been mailing list members for over
> two months, and affirm their subscription to the charter, may also vote in,
> for example, a co-coordinator election.
>
> To my understanding they (members of the mailing list for over two months)
> may also take part in a call for consensus, and their votes are valid in the
> call for consensus. I am uncertain about the "legal" status of voting for a
> charter amendment, and a WG opinion on that would be very helpful.
>
> Best,
> Ginger
>
> Paul Lehto wrote:
>
> On 1/31/10, Fearghas McKay <fm-lists at st-kilda.org> <fm-lists at st-kilda.org> wrote:
>

>  The membership list is from the recent election, you had to be a
> member to vote in the Charter Change vote.
>
> Membership is gained by voting in the co-ordinator election according
> to the current constitution/charter document.
>

>  Please cite the Charter provision providing that "membership is gained
> by voting in the co-ordinator election" because I don't see that in
> the charter. What I see is only the requirement of affirming the
> charter which must be done for each and every vote in order for that
> vote to be valid, and that affirmation is to be a 'personal decision'
> of the individual.  Moreover, since the Charter indicates all members
> are equal in rights and duties, creating a two class system of voters
> and members as a matter of Charter requirements does not at all seem
> [...]

- - - - -
Disclaimer:  Individual post.
LDMF.
Dr. Linda D. Misek-Falkoff
> 914 769 3652
> law /  computing / humanities:

For identification only:

> Founder/Director *Respectful Interfaces*;
> Member, Board, Secretary (Officer) - Communications Coordination Committee
for the
> U.N.;
> World Education Fellowship;
> Member Committees on disability, aging, health, values, development;
> President, National Disability Party (NDP); Steering Seat, International
Disability Caucus;