[governance] IGC statement FINAL VERSION

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 08:54:38 EST 2010

Hello Jeremy,

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> Siva I do appreciate these suggestions for improvement, but are they all
> "deal breakers" for you?  If not, can I request that you narrow them down to
> the parts of the text that you simply cannot abide in their present form?
>  If there are just some changes that would be "nice to have", I ask you to
> hold back on demanding those at this late stage of settling the text.

It is late and in commenting on the 'final'draft, my intention wasn't to
hinder or delay the IGC from sending its statement. Most of my comments
would fit into "nice to have" category However I will classify them in
detail here:

Strongly feel about INCLUDING 'However, if' and feel that that part of the
statement could be changed to read ""We emphasize that the merits of an
extended IGF is appreciated by the UN and its organs and we urge the UN to
extend the mandate for another five years. We believe that the IGF in the
next five years would continue to be increasingly valuable as its pattern of
all round improvements continues. " (as replacement for that portion of your
original text that I had shown in parenthesis)

Strongly feel about INCLUDING  (as replacement for that portion of your
original text that I had shown in parenthesis) "In its process of
transition, we consider it important that the UN Secretary General continues
to convene the IGF; *We are opposed to any proposal for an enhanced role for
the ITU in the renewed IGF *(The ITU is dangerous and would do immense harm
to the Internet).  If the UN so wishes, it could consider several models of
transition, all with a continued mandate from the United Nations. possibly
with a independent model of funding." (it is good to make the IGC
independant, but independant in such a way that ITC does not get in. And it
is also important for the IGF to have an official 'status' which is why I
emphasized the need for a continuing UN mandate.)

Strongly feel about DROPPING the suggestion to limit the number of MAG
meeting to a maximum of one.

Would be nice to include this comment and suggestion: 'We also believe that
the IGF introduces a participatory process to design the main sessions "

The statement about the inclusion of rights could stay because most of IGC
is in favor of pushing the Rights agenda. My differences on this is subtle,
My position is that it would be nice to define and proclaim rights, without
considering Rights as the central task and insisting on a "rights-based"
approach to Internet Governance. I stand alone in my objection. It is
sufficient if IGC takes note that I am opposed to this statement, but IGC
could proceed with this statement as it chooses to. I reserve further
comments on this.

The rest of my comments are intended to smoothen the flow. If you don't
consider it as a comment on your choice of words, if it is OK for you to
admit some of these changes, it would be nice to change parts of the
statement changed to what I have suggested.

( I should also say that I sent my comments in a hurry - without including a
'preamble' or explaining the rationale. When I read what I wrote, it sounded
like a confrontation with you. It was not intended to sound like that.)

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy