[governance] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Jan 22 07:56:23 EST 2010

>Hi,
>That is actually a mis-perception. It costs to join APNIC and receive
>number resources.
>http://www.apnic.net/services/become-a-member/how-much-does-it-cost
>
>If you visit the APNIC frontpage at http://www.apnic.net, you will see
>under the heading Internet Resources: How Much Does it Cost? and you
>will see the structure they have. All ISPs and service providers in
>the region have to buy their membership and then this trickles down to
>the end-users as well. Secondly there is no system for Civil Society
>and Non-Commercial User engagement, more or less, a structure coming
>down from the parent number resource system.

Yes there is.  Public policy meetings are open.
Anyone can speak, raise matters, etc.

>Actually its sold to APNIC Members that charge quite a fees that in
>most cases is far more than the amount of income for many in our part
>of the world. Have a look at the Membership Charges of APNIC.

In the AP region addresses are allocated by local
Internet registries or ISPs.  The fees are for
blocks of address space, that those fees might be
more than someone's income is not relevant.

"Note the following entities cannot receive
resources: a legal entity outside of the Asia
Pacific with no network operations in the Asia
Pacific, or an individual."

Individuals pay what the ISPs decide the market will support.

>The perception you shared is what is commonly shared amongst the
>Internet community from the developed world. Its not an apple pie for
>us, really, we have some really tough problems here.

I think you are wrong. And McTim works in
developing countries building networks with the
resources you're talking about. I think he thinks
you're wrong too.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org