[governance] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated,

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 07:51:08 EST 2010

Fouad,

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> That is actually a mis-perception. It costs to join APNIC and receive
> number resources.

I labor under no misconception regarding how the RIRs operate.

I am am active member of several RIR mailing lists.  Today for example, I
have received a dozen or more mail from ARIN, RIPE and AfrINIC lists.

> http://www.apnic.net/services/become-a-member/how-much-does-it-cost
>
> If you visit the APNIC frontpage at http://www.apnic.net, you will see
> under the heading Internet Resources: How Much Does it Cost? and you
> will see the structure they have. All ISPs and service providers in
> the region have to buy their membership and then this trickles down to
> the end-users as well.

Local Internet Registries should operate on a cost recovery basis, some do
and some inevitably make IP addresses a profit center.

> Secondly there is no system for Civil Society
> and Non-Commercial User engagement

This is where the misconception is entirely yours.  Anyone can join the
policy discussion lists and have an impact on Internet numbering resource
policy.  Currently, I do not represent any ISP or LIR, yet participate in
developing policies in multiple regions.  Really, the system is open to
anyone, technically minded or otherwise.  Milton's experience in the ARIN
region also prove this, as he has had a not insignificant impact on ARIN
policy making since he joined the list.

> , more or less, a structure coming
> down from the parent number resource system.

Nope, completely bottom up.  Where do you get these false notions from?

> Actually its sold to APNIC Members that charge quite a fees that in
> most cases is far more than the amount of income for many in our part
> of the world. Have a look at the Membership Charges of APNIC.

IP addresses are NOT sold.  You should read more completely:

http://www.apnic.net/services/become-a-member/how-much-does-it-cost
"APNIC does not sell Internet resources such as IP addresses.

Instead, resources holders are granted the right to use these public
resources. However, APNIC charges administration fees to assist in the
management of this resource and the provision of services it provides the
community."
I have tracked their fees for many years, and find their system to be very
fair.

What you must understand is that for an ISP that wants IP blocks, one does
not have to join a RIR to get them, they can simply get an assignment or
sub-allocation from their upstream provider.  For larger ISPs, the cost of
joining and getting an allocation is a tiny fraction of their monthly
revenue.  It's part of the cost of doing business, like serving tea to the
staff  (I know because the last ISP I worked for actually had a larger
tea/sugar/milk budget than for the AfriNIC fees).

> The perception you shared is what is commonly shared amongst the
> Internet community from the developed world.

This perception is also widely shared in the developing world.

> Its not an apple pie for
> us, really, we have some really tough problems here.

Believe me I know what those problems are and work on them daily here in
Africa.  The RIRs fees are NOT one of the problems.

> Its not how critically we think but what resources we have access to
> without Moolah (money) in between. The system is very vague indeed for
> the people that see it from outside but from the inside, you pay, you
> get.

Do you honestly think that adding another layer of bureaucracy would make
the system cheaper?

> I rest my case.

I find no merit in your "case".

--