[governance] IGC statement REVISION 3.0: consensus call comes

Yehuda Katz yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Thu Jan 21 11:42:00 EST 2010

My constructive dissection:

>None of these suggestions would fundamentally alter the IGF as an institution;
for example, we are content that it remain formally convened by the UN
Secretary General, with an independent budget and a Secretariat under contract
with the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA).  We
do not see any benefit to the IGF in moving underneath a different UN body.

I take it that: "... We do not see any benefit to the IGF in moving underneath
a different UN body. ..." addresses the ITU's position.
Myself, I see no insult in addressing the ITU's position more directly. (Spit
it out)

Add something like this: And it is genraly felt that if the IGF is to be
subsumed by the ITU, then IGC members would prefer the IGF remain independent
of the UN umbrella.

I am suggesting to leave open 'The-Thought' of an Independent IGF for serval
reasons,
1. There may be Other UN Branches (Other than the ITU) that want to hose the
IGF
2. It may be that the IGF can be Independent and 'First among Equals' (among
all the UN Branches) in respect to Internet Policy, underwritten by the MDG and
WSIS Declarations.
3. if the IGF is in fact slated to conclude, the statement establishes the
IGC's commitment to the IGF's ongoing Independence.
Don't be Shy, the Chair at the ITU certainly is not. Give them (Dese & Markus)
the fuel to fight.
I don't feel you'll insult anyone by being Frank & Direct, in fact now is the
time to do just that, the delicate 'Modalities' as Bertrand de La Chapelle puts
it can come later.

Else where in your statement, you should add something a-kin too "Piercing the
corporate Veil", that is make reference to the 'Invisibility' of the UN
Umbrella Insider negotiations (UN inside modalities) regarding the
determination of the IGF's composition, that should be made real-time and
transparent to All.

I use the 'Piercing the corporate Veil' analogy because I feel They (the
UNSG/UNDESA/ITU/IGF Chairs) have broken their contract with US, in regards to
Transparency of the final negotiations. Last Year's transactions/actions were
evidence of the fact.
---

* Piercing the corporate Veil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piercing_the_corporate_veil