[governance] Net Neutrality

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Jan 21 07:24:26 EST 2010

Hi All

What is most interesting in the joint statement is this new concept of
Technical Advisory Groups. Seeking technicalisation of areas which are
legitimately for political governance is an old trick of the dominant
interests, which we already have enough of trouble dealing with in IG
arena. And now Google is joining in.

I also read dilution of Google's stand on NN, at least in terms of
expectations of laying out NN principles and policies by the government
and their strict enforcement. (though one would have to see Google's own
separate submission on the subject.)

 From the referred joint statement

    With respect to traditional Internet access services, the parties
    agree that differential
    treatment of Internet traffic by network operators may be either
    beneficial or harmful to users.
    Particular practices could be acceptable or unacceptable
    discrimination, depending on their effect
    on competition and on users. While we do not necessarily agree on
    which side of the line
    various practices may fall, we do agree that such practices should
    be evaluated on a case-by-case
    basis.

Their is  saying in Hindi - People who live in glass houses do not throw
stones at other people's house. Perhaps Google has started to realize
the glassiness of its own house.

Parminder