[governance] the matter of MAG rotation 2010

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jan 18 06:22:06 EST 2010

Hi Bill

William Drake wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> On Jan 18, 2010, at 9:39 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>
>>  Even while there has been a MAG meeting three times a year,
>> important decisions have still been made without reference to it.  I
>> worry that, as little authority as the MAG has been allowed as it is,
>> the Secretariat is at least likely to let it out on a longer leash
>> than the open consultation meeting.  In my personal (non-coordinator)
>> view, management of the IGF is a case where some (accountable,
>> transparent) hierarchical structure is needed.
>
> Could you help me to understand your concerns here?  Which important
> decisions exactly have been made without reference to the MAG?

While Jeremy has spoken of important decisions having been taken without
reference to the MAG, I must reaffirm that my principal issue is with
erosion of decision making capacity of the IGF resulting in overall less
decision-making and therefore lesser possibilities of doing many things
that we expect IGF/ MAG to do.

>   I'm open to persuasion that I'm missing something, but at present
> most of the aspects of IGF I wish were different are not the result of
> the MAG having too little influence, needing a longer leash, etc.
What aspects are these, that you wish were different? i ask because, I
think, from what I have heard from you and also from IGC statements -
things like working groups, background papers, inter-sessional work,
better structuring and perhaps outputs  - all or most such aspects
depends on adequate decision making capacity of the MAG, isnt it. Or how
else do you think these aspects/ functions can even be started to be
addressed?

Parminder
     governance at lists.cpsr.org