[governance] the matter of MAG rotation 2010

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Fri Jan 15 14:03:41 EST 2010

Hi Parminder,

Parminder wrote:
> Hi Jeanette,
>
> The proposal continues to bother me a lot in its possible wider
> ramifications. So excuse me to seek some clarifications, and engage in a
> bit of debate on the issue.

I have no problem with that, on the contrary.

> Jeanette Hofmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we discussed some of the implications you mention below.
>>
>> This year's meetings following the February meeting could be regarded
>> as an experiment to find out if a MAG is needed at all.
> But why this experiment and not many others that could be attempted.
> Like MAG taking a more pro-active role of doing more inter-sessional
> work, preparing background papers etc - stuff which has been a part of
> many a proposals for IGF evolution, including from the IGC. I think this
> thing being done in the name of an experiment can be very pre-emptive.
>
>> Perhaps open planning meetings such as the one we had in September
>> 2009 are sufficient for setting the agenda; perhaps the need for some
>> sort of steering committee does arise, perhaps not.

> The view that the MAG does and should only do the narrow work of setting
> a very broad agenda

You are linking two things that seem to me indirectly connected: the
task(s) of the MAG and the selection of its membership. The idea to open
the MAG for its two meetings in May and June seemed a good idea as it
catches 2 birds with one stone. This way, we increase the transparency
of the MAG's work and we avoid the rotation process in the face of an
uncertain future. Everybody can join and help organize the next meeting.
Hence, opening up the meeting shouldn't have an impact on the MAG's
agenda or tasks.

presupposes that only one part of the WSIS mandate
> for the IGF - acting as a policy discussion space (and that too in a
> largely unstructured way) - is relevant and should ever be attempted.
> This is what I mean by saying that the 'experiment' is pre-emptive.
> Without MAG - in fact ,without a MAG that takes up a larger set of goals
> and activities - these other parts of the IGF mandate can just not begun
> to be addressed.

After 4 years of MAG I would say that the interpretation of the MAG's
responsibilities depends to some degree on its (rotating) membership. I
can well imagine that the MAG or any other future advisory group might
consider taking over other tasks. If I understand you correctly,
Parminder, you imply that only a formally constituted group with a
exlusive membership could take over broader responsibilities? If so, I
havn't thought about this enough to agree or disagree with you on this.

>> Since it is unclear whether after 2010 there will be a new mandate for
>> an IGF and if so, whether the new IGF will continue to have a
>> secretariat and a non-bureau like preparatory structure, this year's
>> preparation seems to be a good opportunity to experiment with
>> processes that are more open and transparent and less burdensome.
> Burdensome! Well that depends on what we look to the IGF to achieve. and
> it is well known that there are very different views on this subject. So
> why a certain view at one end of the spectrum is made to look like the
> obvious and natural one, and processes being described as burdensome or
> not in relation to that view of the IGF's objective.
>
> Any serious difficult work can look burdensome. Helping along global
> policy making  can look burdensome, but to others it may be immensely
> necessary, and also mandated by the WSIS. IGC has often sought that
> IGF/MAG does inter-sessional work, form WGs, develop background
> material, make more specific agenda with specific questions of policy
> (IRP dynamic coalition's recent statement too seeks this)... any of this
> may look burdensome, but still be very necessary to evolve towards. What
> happens to all those demands of the IGC and many others? Why cant we do
> some experiment towards this direction rather than in the opposite
> direction to it?

I remember that we have discussed this issue before. I also remember
that I disagreed with your view on the current state of things. In my
view, the regional IGFs are evolving into a bottom-up process of
inter-sessional meetings. The fact that they are geographically
organized doesn't mean that there is no link between them. What I like
about these regional efforts is that they were not centrally organized
but emerged from local initiatives. I think this is a much better way of
  creating a dense network of IGF related processes and structures than
to  empower a body such as the MAG to do so.

>> The annual rotation does involve a lot of work for both the
>> secretariat and all stakeholder groups.

> Now, I dont see why simply extending the term of the old MAG does not
> solve that problem.

As I said on the MAG list, I would find it unacceptable if the MAG
simply extended its term without asking those who nominated the present
members in the first place. The little reaction on the MAG list suggests
that not many members share this point of view. I'd assume that the
caucus would have loudly protested if we had just announced that we
wouldn't rotate this year but just serve another term. Rightly so in my
opinion.

Why should it entail an experiment to see if MAG is
> at all necessary or not.

The question is whether or not the MAG needs to be an exclusive club.
You attended the meeting last September. It did work well, didn't it?

> So, the 'do we even need a MAG' experiment seems to not have much to do
> with the rotation issue, does it.

It does also reflect the open meeting in September. It is good to get
those who organize workshops and main session fully and early involved.

I leave at that. I think others should chip in as well.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org