[governance] 'search neutrality' to go with net neutrality

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 11:35:13 EST 2010

Quite honestly I find this whole discussion extremely odd.  The assumption
seems to be that "we" either as "users" or as "customers" or as autonomous
"agents" interacting with Google are completely independent and free (and
able) to make or remake ourselves (through learning more, through searching
out competitors, through developing new companies etc.etc.) at will.

This position ignores a couple of hundred years of anthropology/sociology
that points out to anyone who may have missed it that we are not first and
foremost "independent" actors free to make or remake ourselves at will.
Rather we are creatures of culture and community and while some of us have
significant opportunities because of our cultural and community backgrounds
many of us do not. Simply exhorting those who don't, to "pull up their sox
and compete like a man (or woman" is to my mind quite beside the point (and
a position which itself is highly highly culture/nation bound...

Some "users" will have the interest, skill, language to read fine print and
(most) others won't... Some will have the capacity to see through Google if
it abuses its power/position--(most) others won't... Some will have the
awareness of knowledge categories (sociology of knowledge) to understand the
ways in which Google is increasingly structuring/restructuring how we
approach knowledge itself (others are arguing that Google is in fact
influencing the very process of thinking/structure of thought but that is a
different issue) and will then be able to take a critical position for
themselves on how to prevent any possible misuse of that position but most
(and daresay including most of those on this list) will not.

That is why we have governments who have the mandate to intervene and
regulate in the public interest.  All of the above arguments on this issue
could probably be made concerning things like food and auto safety,
pollution standards, and child protection (suthorizing third parties to
intervene in abusive relationships between parents and children).

I personally see little difference apart from the same ideological blinkers
that argued against each of the above interventions, in the instance of
Google which is probably the most broadly (at least passively) influential
(de facto monopoly) enterprise of the last decade.

Mike Gurstein