[governance] 'search neutrality' to go with net neutrality

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Tue Jan 5 11:32:50 EST 2010

Fearghas,

When you say:

> Personally my take on the original article is that the search rankings
> were correct, they had no valid new / original content, just a  collection
> of links.

Maybe so, but consider this from a search developer at one of the major
engine companies:
  A real-world web search engine, such as Google's or Microsoft's, has
literally thousands or tens of thousands of ranking signals, updated or
introduced multiple times during a single day. Additionally, the
permutations are near infinite, as the major search engines are constantly
running concurrent experiments in an effort to dynamically tune the system
with real user queries and user happiness.

  Moreover, modern search engines such as Google go so far as to customize
and personalize each result on the fly for each individual user, meaning
that there is no canonical ranking to begin with.  And all of this is
predicated on top of a very unpredictable and continuously changing corpus
of crawled data, with more and more of it arriving in near real-time.

  Given all of that as context, I wouldn't even know where to begin to try
and make the ranking process visible to the user.  There is no one
algorithm, and no one corpus, no one frozen point in time, no way to even
explain the ranking process to lay-people to begin with.  A worthy
challenge, but I'm not sure how practically it could be done.
So creating transparent search is a challenging task indeed. Jimmy Wales'
people gave a swipe at it a few years ago but got pounced on for its Alpha
release. We've linked to that Wikia Search effort and others on our
Transparent Search wiki page - http://bit.ly/TransparentSearch.

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt

     governance at lists.cpsr.org