[governance] 'search neutrality' to go with net neutrality

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jan 4 03:33:20 EST 2010

     >>Secondly, I will move away only if I knew what logic/ algorithm
    Google used, and so I can decide if it works for me or not.

 >Either it works or it doesn't.  If PageRank doesn't give you what you
need, then try Yahoo or Bing.  We, as IGC (or >even CS asa whole) can't
expect to seriously ask Google to show us their patented IP, can we?
While we are at it, >why don't we insist that coca-cola publish their
recipe for Coke or that KFC tell us exactly what their secret recipe >is?

McTim

Treating everything, in this case a company's (self-declared) aim of
organizing the world's information, as akin  to buying coke or  KFC
chicken  is behind many problems of the modern world. And since you
have, in the past, declared your innocence regarding this
socio-political term, I may say that this is more or less what
neoliberalism means.

You may however know that all drug manufacturers, for instance, are
obliged to disclose all ingredients of the drugs, whether it effects
their competitiveness or not. This is because someone sensible decided
that drugs are not the same as KFC chicken. Media companies are obliged
to clearly demarcate editorial content from advertisement, once again
some policy makers were a bit nuanced, with public interest in mind. And
you spoke about patents, as Lee points out, all patents are to be
publicly available information. In fact patents were initially devised
so that innovative ideas could be widely shared.

But coming back to the main point about Raff's article.

 >>And it is not an ordinary article - it is a NYT op-ed, and so if
Google has something to say or refute it must issue a rejoinder.

 > http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2009/12/meaning-of-open.html

The link you forward does not address the principle point made by Raff's
article. Relevant parts are posted again for your reference.

        "Another way that Google exploits its control is through
        preferential placement. With the introduction in 2007 of what it
        calls "universal search," Google began promoting its own
        services at or near the top of its search results, bypassing the
        algorithms it uses to rank the services of others. Google now
        favors its own price-comparison results for product queries, its
        own map results for geographic queries, its own news results for
        topical queries, and its own YouTube results for video queries.
        And Google's stated plans for universal search make it clear
        that this is only the beginning."

        "Because of its domination of the global search market and
        ability to penalize competitors while placing its own services
        at the top of its search results, Google has a virtually
        unassailable competitive advantage. And Google can deploy this
        advantage well beyond the confines of search to any service it
        chooses. Wherever it does so, incumbents are toppled, new
        entrants are suppressed and innovation is imperiled."

Above is a clear allegation that without telling us "Google ... (is)
promoting its own services at or near the top of its search results,
bypassing the algorithms it uses to rank the services of others". I do
not know whether they actually do so or not. But if they do not do so,
by my reckoning, they will jump in with a strong rejoinder within hours
of such an allegation being carried in a NY op-ed article. So, lets
assume that they do so. Can anything be more anti-competitive than this.

 >>Also there is definitely a connection between NN practices and
allegations about Google, both being anti-competitive activities.

 >What connection is that?

Cant see how you cannot make the connection. One of the worst NN
violation consists in telco's promoting their own services on their
network over that of their competitors. Google is doing the same at
another level of the network that it controls. Isnt it the same level of
offense?

Parminder