[governance] Parminder's exchange with Bertrand

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Feb 26 17:15:27 EST 2010

Well spotted McTim! For the uninitiated from Wikipedia-

Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law
of Nazi Analogies) is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1990
which has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion
grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler
approaches²

Godwin's Law is often cited in online discussions as a deterrent against the
use of arguments in the widespread reductio ad Hitlerum  form. The rule does
not make any statement about whether any particular reference or comparison
to Adolf Hitler  or the Nazis  might be appropriate, but only asserts that
the likelihood of such a reference or comparison arising increases as the
discussion progresses. It is precisely because such a comparison or
reference may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin has argued  that overuse of
Nazi and Hitler comparisons should be avoided, because it robs the valid
comparisons of their impact.

Also there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion
forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished.