[governance] CONSENSUS CALL on statement to UNSG on bypassing CSTD

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Feb 24 05:01:39 EST 2010

Below is the final statement on which a 48 hour consensus call is now being made.  Rather than replying with YES or NO here, please wait to receive a personalised email containing a code that allows you to respond using a Web-based survey form.  If you do not receive this email within 2 hours from now, please check with me off-list.

The online survey link has been sent to all current members of this list.  I realise that some members of this list are subscribed more than once.  I would ask them to respond only once, because responses will be publicly archived and it will be apparent if more than one response has been given per person.

If you have comments beyond a YES or NO, then you may post them to this list as usual.  The use of an online survey form is simply to cut down on the unwanted (for some) list traffic that a consensus call causes.  Thanks for your participation!

AN OPEN LETTER FROM THE INTERNET GOVERNANCE CAUCUS TO THE UNITED NATIONS SECRETARY-GENERAL, BAN KI-MOON

Your Excellency,

The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) congratulates you on the completion and imminent delivery of your report and recommendations on the desirability of the continuation of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF), based on formal consultations at the IGF in Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt.

We request that in the interest of an open and transparent process, and in accordance with established practice, these recommendations be made available to the annual session of the Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD) in May 2010.

Our request is in line with the views expressed by several government delegates at the open consultations on the IGF held in February 2010, to the effect that your report and recommendations should be presented to the CSTD before being considered by the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and then by the UN Assembly.

The CSTD is formally mandated to engage with all issues of follow up from the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS), and its specialized knowledge and history of engagement with WSIS issues, including the IGF, will provide the best basis for an informed consideration of the issue by the ECOSOC and the UN Assembly.

The CSTD also provides relatively greater multistakeholder involvement than its parent body, ECOSOC, following its "strengthening ... taking into account the multistakeholder approach"  (Tunis Agenda, para 105) pursuant to ECOSOC decisions 2007/215, 2007/216, 2008/217 and 2008/218.

We also respectfully remind you that your report on "enhanced cooperation" which was presented to the ECOSOC has been referred by the ECOSOC to the CSTD for its prior consideration.  This suggests that ECOSOC would normally prefer CSTD's views on issues of WSIS follow up before it considers them.

Absent any reason for a departure from established practice, we therefore believe that your report and recommendations should be presented to the CSTD to enable widest possible discussion
and engagement of all actors with this very important issue.

Thank you for your consideration of this suggestion, for your leadership, and for your ongoing support of civil society's participation at the Internet Governance Forum.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.