[governance] Email Portability Approved by Knesset Committee

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 03:45:17 EST 2010

Hello Tapani Tarvainen,

This discussion is very relevant for an ICANN working group examining domain
name post expiry issues.

While you suggest a Domain /subdomain-name for every ISP's
customers, independent owners of domain names land up in email continuity
issues, BECAUSE OF  their domain ownership, at times when they fail to renew
their domain names. When domain names are not renewed either due to choice
or because the user doesn't remember to do so, their email is discontinued
(in most cases) with no possible information to the user about what is
bounced or discarded.

If such creative solutions could exist for ISPs to offer email portability,
easier solutions could be thought of for the Registrars to offer a similar
solution to the Domain Registrants (at the time of expiry).

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy