[governance] Email Portability Approved by Knesset Committee

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Wed Feb 24 01:41:21 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:34:43PM -0500, Milton L Mueller (mueller at syr.edu) wro

> There is a very simple way to get a fully portable email address:
> register a domain name. ;-)

That is also a rather obvious solution for ISPs if this law passes:
just register a new domain name for each customer.
It costs little enough nowadays (dollar per month or so,
and I'd bet someone like Tokelau would make them an even
cheaper offer).

Alternatively, just giving each customer their own subdomain
with company suffix (user at user.company.example.com)
would make redirection cheap: just adjust MX records.

Or a number of ISPs might for a common company just for
managing email addresses, by using a common 2nd level
domain and give each user their own 3rd level domain
and just manage MX records for them.

> Legislatively granting end users a property right in a domain name
> and user ID of an ISP they no longer pay

Perhaps the idea is that email addresses should not be associated
with ISPs and their domains at all, that is, effectively force them
to register independent domains for their email customers.

Of course it's consumers who end up paying for it, as always.
But if sufficiently large number of them want it, it'll be
cheaper if it's mandatory - at the expense of those who
don't want it, of course.

--
Tapani Tarvainen
     governance at lists.cpsr.org