[governance] REVISION 4 Draft statement to UNSG on bypassing CSTD

linda misek-falkoff ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 20:50:57 EST 2010

To: governance at lists.cpsr.org, Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org

Hi Jeremy, hi Parminder, Ginger  et al.

I don't know if you have already submitted this letter but of course we hold
best wishes for the IGC's success.

One thing I notice is the opportunity to be a bit of a *stronger voice* in
the matter.  As I understand it, it's yes a definite plus to have government
supporters, but wondering if one might want to say something like

 [proposed addition, pro tem]:

> "The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) together with
> governments, *and independently in its own voice, *,supports the views
> expressed by several government delegates" ... etc.

{LDMF note: The aboive  is a suggestion on concept - not
necessarily detailed text drafting).

I am very much interested in your thoughts.

*Respectfully Interfacing*, and with warm regards, LDMF.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 4:22 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> [...]
> SECRETARY-GENERAL, BAN KI-MOON
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) supports the views
> expressed by several government delegates at the recent open consultations
> on the IGF that the UN Secretary-General's report and recommendations on the
> desirability of the continuation of the Forum, based on formal consultations
> at IGF Sharm, should be presented to the CSTD's annual session in May 2010
> before being considered by the ECOSOC and then by the UN Assembly.
>
> Indications given at the meeting that this might not be the case have
> caused some confusion, since this would mark a departure from established
> practice.  The CSTD is formally mandated to engage with all issues of WSIS
> follow up, and its specialized knowledge and history of engagement with WSIS
> issues, including the IGF, will provide the best basis for an informed
> consideration of the issue by the ECOSOC and the UN Assembly.
>
> In addition, consideration of the recommendations by the CSTD will enable
> widest possible discussion and engagement of concerned actors, including
> governments, with this very important issue.  The CSTD provides relatively
> greater multistakeholder involvement than its parent body, ECOSOC, following
> its "strengthening ... taking into account the multistakeholder approach"
>  (Tunis Agenda, para 105) pursuant to ECOSOC decisions 2007/215, 2007/216,
> 2008/217 and 2008/218.
>
> It is also very relevant to note here that UN Secretary General's report on
> "enhanced cooperation" which was presented to the ECOSOC has been referred
> by the ECOSOC to the CSTD for its prior consideration, which does make it
> clear that ECOSOC would normally prefer CSTD's views on issues of WSIS
> follow up before it considers them. There is no reason why the same should
> not apply to the Secretary-General's report on the IGF.
>
> We therefore request that in the interest of an open and transparent
> process, the UN Secretary-General's report on continuation of the IGF be
> made available to the CSTD's annual session in May 2010, which will help the
> UN membership make an informed and considered decision on this matter as per
> the requirements of the Tunis Agenda.
>
> --
> Jeremy Malcolm
> Project Coordinator
> Consumers International
> Kuala Lumpur Office for Asia Pacific and the Middle East
> Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM, 7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg, TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur,
> Malaysia
> Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
>
> CI is 50
> Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in
> 2010.
> Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer
> rights around the world.
> http://www.consumersinternational.org/50
>
> Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless

Disclaimer:  Individual post.
LDMF.
Dr. Linda D. Misek-Falkoff
> 914 769 3652
> law /  computing / humanities:

For identification only:

> Founder/Director *Respectful Interfaces*;
> Member, Board, Secretary (Officer) - Communications Coordination Committee
for the
> U.N.;
> World Education Fellowship;
> Member Committees on disability, ageing, health, values, development, Gray
Panthers, Committee on Mental Health Media and ITC, Discrimination SubComs.
> President, National Disability Party (NDP); Steering Seat, International
Disability Caucus;
> Persons with Pain Intl., co-founded with Carol J. Levy;
> ICT multiple decades - authored and taught original GML tages - became
HTML; developed internet law on cyberlibel, reputation management etc.
> Other affiliations on Request.
>
> n.b.:

> -  You are welcome to join *Respectful Interfaces.* The *Respectful
> Interfaces* Coda is: "Achieving Dialogue While Cherishing Diversity" (ask
> about event or continuing leadership interning).

> - Communication, Cooperation and Collaboration are core values of the
CCC/UN.

P.S. While still in initial development -  you are welcome to visit the
startup (not yet with alternative text or captioning) *Respectful
Interfaces* website  - in order to browse, make requests, join in, and send
suggestions to  respectful.interfaces at gmail.com.  To sample *respectful
Interfaces* as an enterprise framework, with references to CCC/UN and WEF,
click here: http://wp.me/PFqR6-K