[governance] REVISION 4 Draft statement to UNSG on bypassing CSTD

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 06:51:53 EST 2010

Hello Erid Dierker

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 1:59 AM, Eric Dierker
<cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> I think we agree on this. I think we can both agree that writing in a style
> most easily undersood by all is optimum. Where we differ here, and not so
> much, is that when speaking to somebody we make sure that all listeners are
> easily accomodated.  That probably is not such a good idea. If the paper be
> for all to learn from,,, then write it one way. But if the paper be written
> so that a leader is pursuaded or influenced then write it for that
> reader/leader and that purpose.
>
> If we are attempting to garner broad support for our position your
> technique and considerations would be at forefront.  In that our stated
> purpose is more focused on the Sec Gen then perhaps my thoughts should
> overshadow inclusiveness.  If it be your scenario then we are
> "grandstanding" and "playing for the crowds".

I am a bit puzzled about what you said  earlier,

"If the document is being drafted for the eyes of a very sophisticated
person of high intelligence and education then proper respect requires that
the language be of intelligence and sophistication"

I don't agree that proper respect  requires a language of "sophistication"
(sophistication in the sense that the language is
complex, incomprehensible to most of the CS participants). The language can
be respectful while being simple. It would be a stereotype to assume that
polite and formal communication ought to be 'sophisticated', (constructed in
long sentences of relatively unintelligible words?). It can very much be a
communication in short sentences and plain simple words and still radiate
respect.

Another perceived problem is that of the difficulty for those who don't
speak English. Since it is a very important document from IGC, we can
internally translate this one page document in a few other languages within
a week after sending this document in English and make it available on the
list for reference as also send it the to the UN to be included along with
the document in English in their records.

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy.