[governance] REVISION 3 Draft statement to UNSG on bypassing

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Thu Feb 18 08:10:38 EST 2010

Hi

> Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>>
>> All, could you live with Parminder's draft instead of the one we've been discussing, or Parminder could you live with the original one?

With some bits of copy editing for language, I think Parminder's would be the better submission.  It's more direct and to the point of following established process, doesn't  explain UN history and institutional dynamics to the UN SG, doesn't impute singular MS motivations to governments, etc.  Jeremy built the original out from Wolfgang's discursive message about the threat to multilateralism, which was formulated as a warning to CS about the stakes, not as a process complaint to the SG.  Parminder's is more optimized to the purpose at hand.

It might be worth bearing in mind that this is not an every day counts matter of urgency.  It'd be good to get it out next week, but when writing to the SG we should avoid rushed decisions and get it right.  And also remember that it presumably will be read by the under-SG, so the wording has to be firm but correct, no pressing the wrong buttons.

Best,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org