[governance] REVISION 3 Draft statement to UNSG on bypassing

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Thu Feb 18 07:11:01 EST 2010

Parminder wrote:

  > Jeremy
>
> I suggest an alternative strategy, but if others want to go by the
> original one it is fine with me. I will sign on it as well.
>
> The problem is that the opening para itself I think have some factual
>  errors,

I cannot see any factual errors in the following para:

and the UN SG's office will lose interest as another 'we
> want more MS-ism' pitch by the CS when we have a much stronger case
> here which is not presented.
>
>> The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus is a strong supporter
>> of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) and its unique
>> multi-stakeholder >process. We express a concern about what we see
>> as a potential weakening of that process. Our concern is shared by
>> several governments who >spoke to similar effect at the last IGF
>> open consultation meeting on 10 February.
>
> In fact the governments who spoke were not thinking of
> multistakeholderism

I would recommend that you re-read the statement of France.

but underlying their objections was a different
> politics.

These issues are by no means mutually exclusive. I guess that most
governments wouldn't be happy to return to an intergovernmental process
designed to discuss IG forever. The MS approach is more productive and
provides them with a lot of flexibility.

jeanette

They suspect China (along with some others) is up to some

     governance at lists.cpsr.org