[governance] IGC statement REVISION 3.0: consensus call comes

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Feb 17 04:07:09 EST 2010

Hi Siva,

Thanks for laying this out.  While we've had bits and pieces of discussion about the ITU on this list over the past seven years, in general it's an arena that many folks have less experience with than IGF and ICANN, so this is helpful.   I'd like though to raise a concern about one dimension of your depiction—the notion that ITU is just a business cartel, "of which unwittingly Governments are a part."  As someone who's done a great deal of research and writing on the ITU over the past 30 years I have to say I find this rather misleading.  ITU is and always has been preeminently an intergovernmental organization.  Industry groups have been allowed to participate in some of its bodies over the years subject to various limitations, and for many decades some of them (particularly corporate users as represented inter alia by the ICC and INTUG) were quite unhappy with these procedures, and indeed with the whole market-regulatory, pro-monopoly orientation of ITU policy.  Starting in the 1980s various reform processes began to inter alia enhance business participation and liberalize long-standing regulations and market access limitations, and now companies can join the three sectors as members. In this context, the major national telecom carriers (former PTTs) and their preferred manufacturers exercise a good deal of influence on the design of technical and operational standards.  Nevertheless, the overarching policy frameworks within which such work is conducted remain intergovernmental and treaty based.  This is especially so on the radio spectrum side of the house.

With regard to the private sector, the important point is that business is not an undifferentiated mass.  There are a lot of different factions and interests, and those that gather in the ITU historically heralded mostly from the PSTN environment.  In contrast, ITU has had a great deal of difficulty attracting and keeping businesses from the Internet environment that have their roots in identifiers, applications, and so on, and has had tense and sometimes conflictual relations with the whole Internet administrative nexus.  So there are multiple lines of tension at work here—within industry, between governments and some industry, between governments and their preferred firms on the one hand and CS and the Internet technical community on the other, between models and visions of the Internet and the global info infrastructure more generally, and so on.  In all of this, governments are hardly the unwitting dupes of one industry faction; there's rather a close, symbiotic relationship based on shared interests which, alas, have been rather different from those of many people and orgs indigenous to the Internet environment.  To some extent that may be changing now, at least with respect to security issues, where one finds a lot of big players from the net space getting actively engaged and vested in the ITU process.

I'm sure you know all this, just thought it was worth a friendly amendment to avoid misunderstandings.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake
Senior Associate