[governance] A 50-Watt Cellular Network

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:04:38 EST 2010

Hello McTim,

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 1:19 AM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Siva.
>
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
> <isolatedn at gmail.com> wrote:
> > VNL's present focus appears to be cellular telephone services while
> Village
> > Telco's interests lie in Wifi / mesh networking.
>
> The mesh potato is designed to do telephony, can do data, but not
> optimised for it.
>

> > If these disruptive technologies are used to provide Internet Access
> > solutions, there is a possibility of solutions beyond telecom dependent
> > networking.
> >

> indeed.
>
> > Village Telco's business model (of retaining profits for rural and
> informal
> > settlements rather than feeding a telco) is an indication that
> > telco-independent infrastructure and business models are feasible.
> >

> That's the plan.

Lauren Weinstein has posted a message in his NNsquad list, which is
interesting in a different way. This is about Google's announcement of a 1
GBPS ( possibly more) ultrahigh speed broadband network in 'a small number
of' trial locations across the US with Fiber to Home connections provided to
upto 500,000 people.

Google Blog
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/think-big-with-gig-our-experimental.htmlpromises
"We'll operate an "open access" network, giving users the choice of
multiple service providers. And consistent with our past
advocacy<http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/search/label/Net%20Neutrality>,
we'll manage our network in an open, non-discriminatory and transparent
way."

Google has already experimented with citywide WiFi in Mountainview, so
Google would also be in a position to combine its own WiFi expertise and the
expertise from O3B which was initially funded by Google to include rural
connectivity at comparable speeds. Google's networks would very possibly be
telecom-independent.

Good. Very Good.