OFFLIST:Re: [governance] Separate statement on themes for Vilnius

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Feb 6 14:00:51 EST 2010

McTim

We may not much more time for this, but if your problem, as I read it,
is that you think our statement seems to jettison considerations of
technical principles in favour of 'internet rights and principles',
which is of course not at all meant, we can change the concerned
sentence a bit, basically removing the term 'alternative'.

"Internet governance has up to this time largely been founded in technical principles and, increasingly, on the Internet’s functionality as a giant global marketplace. With the Internet becoming  increasingly central to many social and political institutions, an alternative foundation and conceptual framework for IG can be explored in looking at 'internet rights and principles'."

may be changed to

"Internet governance has up to this time largely been founded in technical principles and, increasingly, on the Internet’s functionality as a giant global marketplace. With the Internet becoming  increasingly central to many social and political institutions, we are of the view that a consideration of 'internet rights and principles' can provide the basis for a more comprehensive conceptual framework for IG."

we will need to put this for consensus call in the next 12 hours, if it has to be read out on 9th  in the open consultations.

Parminder