[governance] IPv6 address allocations to DOD

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 14:51:49 EST 2010

Evening Milton,

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> I would disagree, a bit. the appropriate forum for policy MAKING may indeed be the RIR lists and members.
> The IGF however is very much an appropriate forum for policy DISCUSSION and debate.

Absolutely correct.

However, I wonder how folks at the IGF would feel if we had a really
good workshop about the WHOIS issues that the ARIN community is
debating this week at the next IGF.  I mean a great workshop, everyone
gained understanding of the issues clearly, aired their views, learned
a lot, even came up with a consensus of the folk in the room about the
way forward.  Wouldn't it be a tad frustrating to leave the room after
such an event knowing that you did it in the wrong place to have any
impact?  I think I would feel frustrated.

This is why I support the capacity building approach.

In this thread alone, we have had everything from accusations of
authoritarianism to suspicions that the US military gets whatever they
want via political pressure and that they would use these addresses to
eavesdrop on every device on the planet.  I think we need the
education first before we can have meaningful policy discussions.

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org