[governance] Separate statement on themes for Vilnius

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Feb 3 21:28:17 EST 2010

On 04/02/2010, at 12:49 AM, Parminder wrote:

> Ginger and others
>
> Why should we not just take the text from the statement we made proposing main themes for IGF Hyderabad that Bill has referred to( http://www.igcaucus.org/node/8 )   . The text is as follows. We can just update information of respective workshops on both the topics that were held in Egypt, one of them IGC co-sponsored. In nay case we have little time left to finalist the statement.
>
> Excerpt from our statement for IGF Hyderabad

And if Human Rights is to be included along with NN and DA, then we have this fine previous statement for Sharm el Sheikh on which to draw.  Of course, replace "Egypt" and "IGF-4" with "Lithuania" and "IGF-5".

http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/Substantive_3rd_IGF/igc_rights.doc

An edited version follows:

The Internet Governance Caucus strongly recommends that 'Rights and the Internet' be made the overarching theme for IGF-4 in Egypt, and that the IGF-4's program be framed by the desire for developing a rights-based discourse in the area of Internet Governance. The IGC offers the IGF assistance in helping to shape such a discourse at the IGF meetings, and specifically to help make 'Rights and the Internet' an overarching theme for IGF-4 in Egypt.

We recognize that while it is relatively easy to articulate and claim “rights” it is much more difficult to agree on, implement and enforce them. We also recognize that rights claims can sometimes conflict or compete with each other. There can also be uncertainty about the proper application of a rights claim to a factual situation. The change in the technical methods of communication often undermines pre-existing understandings of how to apply legal categories.

These complexities, however, only strengthen the case for using the IGF to explicitly discuss and debate these problems. There is no other global forum where such issues can be raised and explored in a non-binding context.

Internet governance has up to this time largely been founded in technical principles and, increasingly, on the Internet’s functionality as a giant global marketplace. With the Internet becoming  increasingly central to many social and political institutions, an alternative foundation and conceptual framework for IG can be explored. It is the view of the IG Caucus that a rights-based framework will be appropriate for this purpose, and that the IGF is the forum best suited to take up this task.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.