[governance] Separate statement on themes for Vilnius

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Feb 3 11:49:34 EST 2010

Ginger and others

Why should we not just take the text from the statement we made
proposing main themes for IGF Hyderabad that Bill has referred to(
http://www.igcaucus.org/node/8 )   . The text is as follows. We can just
update information of respective workshops on both the topics that were
held in Egypt, one of them IGC co-sponsored. In nay case we have little
time left to finalist the statement.

Excerpt from our statement for IGF Hyderabad

    Network Neutrality - Ensuring Openness in All Layers of the Internet
    Network neutrality has been an important architectural principle for
    the Internet. This principle is under considerable challenge as
    Internet becomes the mainstream communication platform for almost
    all business and social activities. This main session will examine
    the implication of this principle, and its possible evolutionary
    interpretations, for Internet policy in different areas. Issues
    about the openness of the Internet architecture are increasingly
    manifest in all layers of the Internet today.

    A Development Agenda for Internet Governance
    Development is a key focus of the Tunis Agenda and its mandate for
    the IGF. Development also was listed as a cross-cutting theme of the
    Athens and Rio conferences, but neither featured a main session that
    devoted significant, focused attention to the linkages between
    Internet governance mechanisms and development. However, at Rio a
    workshop was organized by civil society actors in collaboration with
    the Swiss government, Brazilian Internet Steering Committee and
    other partners from all stakeholder groupings on, "Toward a
    Development Agenda for Internet Governance." The workshop considered
    the options for establishing a holistic program of analysis and
    action that would help mainstream development considerations into
    Internet governance decision making processes.
    Attendees at this workshop expressed strong interest in further work
    on the topic being pursued in the IGF. Hence, we believe the
    Development Agenda concept should be taken up in a main session at
    Hyderabad, and that this would be of keen interest to a great many
    participants there. We also support the Swiss government's proposal
    to consider establishing a multi-stakeholder Working Group that
    could develop recommendations to the IGF on a development agenda.

Parminder