[governance] Separate statement on themes for Vilnius

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:14:57 EST 2010

Hello McTim,

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:42 PM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Siva,
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
> <isolatedn at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello

It looks like a comical situation to think of an ITU mandated policy
process.  ITU's concerns are business profits. What the ITU really wants to
do is to mine profits out of the Internet,  so the ITU tries every trick to
use its ill-fitting status as a UN Agency to steer policy makers towards an
Internet Policy with a certain design that would open up doors wide for ITU
member Telecoms.  These telecom business designs are wrapped up and
misleadingly presented to the world as nobler concerns for Global Security.
 Until Governments understand how they are played by the ITU, the freedom of
the Internet will remain threatened.

(The ITU shouldn't be allowed to interject itself in Internet Governance as
a 'UN Agency' , but instead could be offered seats within the business
quadrant of the Internet Governance Forum.)

Our central concern is to ensure that the Internet remains free and
open. Internet Policy has to evolve by a participative process. We need to
do all that we can to ensure our participation.  If that can only happen by
asserting that we have a 'right' to participate, I am with you on this. But
would this be the most effective approach?