[governance] Separate statement on themes for Vilnius

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 03:12:52 EST 2010

Hi Siva,

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
<isolatedn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello

We have the ability, but do we have the "right"?  Things like the ITU
sponsored treaty and the Microsoft IDL may threaten this ability.  I
suggest we assert a "right" to enshrine the status quo.  If a cyber
war treaty written/overseen by the ITU mandated that only states could
formulate IP address policy, then our "right" to participate in these
policy discussions would be curtailed, no?

I know it might be a far-fetched example, but no more far-fetched than
some I have heard on this list ;-)

 The Internet Governance process is a
> mutli-stakeholder, participative process already; at the IGF, unlike in any
> other forum, the Civil Society equally participates in the policy making
> process, at least in the first step of it.

yes, IG is a mutli-stakeholder, participative process already.

I dispute the notion that the IGF is an IG policy making body, and I
also dispute the notion that it is the only forum that has
mutli-stakeholder, participative processes already.

> So, why do we have to proclaim 'Right to develop Internet Policy' as a
> right, when participation is already a happening process? Why discuss and
> demand what is already given?

Capacity building mostly. Last weeks discussion re: the US DoD IPv6
allocations show us that even amongst those with some clue, we still
have a long way to go to educate folk at the IGF about how IG is
actually done.  I suspect that having a main theme on this topic would
educate many.

--
Cheers,

McTim