[governance] Including Rights

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 10:40:15 EST 2010

On 2/1/10, Eric Dierker <cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I think that we
> have seen that the exclusive concentration on Human Rights by any
> organization is idealistic and usually leads to antisocial fanaticism.
> Where as, when the Human Rights are enveloped into a pre-or - concurrently
> existing structure for the promotion of more tangible advancement it gains
> credibility and strength.

If someone reaches into someone one's pocket, depending on the
specific activities in fishing around in one's pocket, this would
constitute among other possibilities (if we think in terms of human
rights) a violation of one's human rights to bodily integrity, and
violation of human rights against assault and/or molestation, as well
as human rights against theft of personal property.

If a person or organization finds wrong in the above violations of
human rights, are they engaging in "antisocial fanaticism" if they
insist on complete removal of the fishing hand, return of all
property, and punishment or damages for any molestation?

In order to avoid "antisocial fanaticism" about human rights should
these persons or organizations compromise and be more workable, such
as by accepting half-justice in exchange for the hand being removed
half way out of the pocket?

Human rights, collectively, are the conditions upon which respectful
social interactions and community take place.  I suppose one might
characterize my reaction to a hand in my pocket, as adamant and
insistent as I would be about my rights, to be "antisocial fanaticism"
because at that point I would not be seeking any social intercourse
and would be very insistent on my rights, with no thought of
compromise at all.

Human rightrs are not properly subject of basic compromise.  If this
proposition is denied, or its enforcement deemed "fanaticism", then I
think it may be appropriate to subject deniers to the hand in the
pocket test and see if they're serious about condemning a "fanatical"
approach to human rights.

I believe no such test will actually be necessary, because upon
approach of the "hand-person" we would find, I'm sure, an immediate,
antisocial fanaticism in assertion of human rights.

Paul Lehto, Juris Doctor
Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box #1
Ishpeming, MI  49849