[governance] Phase 1 of improvements to the IGC Web site

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri Dec 24 20:22:05 EST 2010

On 24/12/2010, at 11:34 PM, Marilia Maciel wrote:

> - On the "membership" section, it would be interesting to know a little more about IGC members, where they are from, their organization, etc.

I'm going to be migrating the membership into an LDAP database, which can be shared by all of the applications we use.  This should also allow us to do some nice data mapping like you mention.  A bit of elbow work will be involved though, so if anyone else wants to pitch in and help with Web development or design, please let me know.
> - It would be interesting to have an easy way to access to videos that are important to IGC in an organized manner. Videos are an increasingly important way to convey messages and to "tell our story" to future members. There is good material in youtube already, while other videos (from IGF for instance) need to be edited. If IGC members could contribute to this resource pool of videos, it would be easier to make it grow. But we need to have some way to classify them, so they can be retrieved more easily.

This shouldn't be hard.  I'll take it on board.
> - It would also be interesting to have a "resource" section, of relevant texts and documents made available by the members. But we need to archive them in a coherent manner as well.

This is planned.
> Now one concern. Although I think it is very useful to find our posts to the IGC list  in IGC website and although and I agree that IGC discussions should be transparent, I am worried that some strategic discussions we carry out here on the list would be accessible by anybody. I don´t know, but maybe our members will start to think twice before saying something, and we may lose in some degree the frankness that has characterized the discussions on the list.

Without duplicating what others have said already, I would note that we have the flexibility to create closed mailing lists for working groups, if we want to be tactical about something.  And I can, in light of your suggestion, make it more obvious on the list subscription page that archives are open to all.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

Empowering Tomorrow’s Consumers
CI World Congress, 3-6 May 2011, Hong Kong
Businesses, governments and civil society are invited to join consumer groups from around the world
for four days of debate and discussion on the issues that matter most to consumers. Register now!
http://www.consumersinternational.org/congress
Twitter #CICongress

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.