[governance] VS: Next Steps

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Mon Dec 20 20:57:50 EST 2010

I think building our own strategy is very important - so that we have better
coordination with other stakeholders.

And, inter-relation with EC process is of course very important.
I think at the moment no one knows how exactly these two tracks will proceed.
It is still an open question and depends on how all stakeholders will engage.

I don't think EC will define or void the value of CSTD/IGF process, rather
it is a two-way game. Both affect each other and both are important.

The Chair did not mention how to select the WG members, but my understanding
is that they will consider the inputs given, including the 10 nominees from IGC,
but at least the box is still black. I heard that Tech/academic
community is asked
to nominate their candidates separately now. Well, that's what 5+5+5 means.

To me, some sort of "Plan C" is essential. That means, now that non-governmental
stakeholders are regarded as "guest members" inside CSTD WG, these
stakeholders should make their own "group" inside AND outside the WG.
It will be, in the beginning at least, a coordination, not a coalition per se.
And IGC should play an important role for this coordination, and also reaching
out governments, both MSH friendly and not so, together.

I mean at least at CSTD the level of understanding of IGF process and MSH
is not so high nor deep, especially among these Geneva based mission,
foreign affairs ministry people, and I wonder how much they received
instructions
from the capital, or gov agencies in charge of IGF.

There are also some gov folks who are trying to be MSH friendly, but as Wolfgang
wrote, they could not include non-gov members into the decision making
process at UN, which is essentially an inter-governmental body, thus
legally, they argued
they cannot give equal status to non-gov actors.  They are not necesarily
anti-MSH, or anti-CS, but in their legal (and political) framework, they just
cannot find ways to accept us as peer.

For that, I think we should strengthen our argument, and how exactly MSH
address this issue. Not an easy task, I think, but worth a try.

I mean, is it  a) because of the nature of the Internet (distributed
governance, built by non-gov actors with little regulation etc.) that
we argue for the MSH, or

b) because of new global situation, not only addressed to Internet and
Information
Society areas, but something together with say environmental issues,
or other trans-national issues, that requires the participation of
non-gov actors to the global
policy coordination as the state power in general are being reduced, or

c) combination of both elements?

I mainly argued with a) at the CSTD meeting, but b) is also important
in larger context.

izumi

     governance at lists.cpsr.org