[governance] Re: Final score in CSTD consultations ??

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 12:36:04 EST 2010

A paragraph from Ars says:

*"Indeed, amidst the soul-crushing boredom of the working group's meetings
last week, there were some such proposals. "Representatives from Brazil
called for an international body made up of Government representatives that
would attempt to create global standards for policing the
internet—specifically in reaction to challenges such as WikiLeaks"*

The piece of news from ars technica confuses the debate about EC with the
debate in the CSTD and misinforms the publi*c. **For instance, it seems that
Brazilian speech about EC took place in CSTD meeting and that they proposed
to substitute the IGF for an intergov organization, which is not true.
*

**

*It is also not true that the Brazilian representative speech about EC gave
room to believe that an intergovernmental forum should be created "in
reaction to challenges such as wikileaks", as affirmed by Ars. I finally
took the time to watch the video and what was said was that:*

**

*"I am not in the position of making any comment on wikileaks. I want to
comment on the hard of the actions that were taken after wikileaks. Those
who were in favor and against the attempts to control the internet…. We
don´t have a common international environment for arising this question in
an appropriate manner, without tension and taking into consideration
internet freedom and innovation and privacy."*

*
*

An honest mistake by Ars?

Marília