[governance] Round III - 15 from non-gov stakeholders 5+5+5

Drake William william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Sat Dec 18 06:10:58 EST 2010

Hi

3 points on next steps

On Dec 17, 2010, at 10:54 PM, Izumi AIZU wrote:

> The Chair of the CSTD establishes a Working Group of 15 member states
> plus the five member states which hosted the IG meetings plus the two
> member states which hosted WSIS. This Working Group will seek,
> compile, and review inputs from all member states and all other
> stakeholders on improvement of the Internet Governance Forum, in an
> open and inclusive manner throughout the process.
>
> The Chair invites the following stakeholders to interactively
> participate in the Working Group, bearing in mind the established
> rules of procedure of the ECOSOC, who will remain fully engaged
> throughout the process:
> - 5 Business community
> - 5 Civil society
> - 5 Technical and academic community
> - 5 intergovernmental organizations
>
> Pursuant to the ECOSOC decision 2010/226, 2010/227, and 2010/228,
> maximum possible assistance, diversity of ideas, and the equal
> representation of stakeholders from developing countries in the
> Working Group should be ensured in consultation with the stakeholders.

I asked for the last bit and stressed that it'd be important when trying to get overall balance across the 5+5+5 selections if stakeholders were actively consulted rather than being presented with black box decisions from NY, as per the MAG.  As there was agreement on this, hopefully the CSTD secretariat will be coming back to us before finalizing selections.  We might want to follow up with Mongi.

> The report of this Working Group will be adopted by consensus.

When I left at 21:15 they were going in circles on this, glad to see it wasn't watered down.  The earlier formulation said only that decisions would be made by the 22 member states, which reinforced the intergovern-mentality and left the door open to majority vote recommendations.  Since nongovernmentals can participate but are not WG members, it may be important to coordinate more than we often do with friendly governments whose consensus will be required.  Aside from US/EU/Canada/Switzerland, Chile and Mexico were supportive, Mozambique and Tunisia (!) at times too.  Not sure who will end up on the WG but those are channels.

With an eye toward any future lobbying etc, at yesterday's meeting, proponents of a purely intergovernmental WG included India, Iran, South Africa (the three most ardent), Egypt, Brazil, China, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, and Cuba.  Most also wanted to set low limits on the number of nongovernmental "guests" and/or to subject them to restrictive ECOSOC rules of participation, i.e. speak when the chair thinks it's worth hearing from you.

Cheers,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org