[governance] Round III - 15 from non-gov stakeholders 5+5+5

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 11:21:22 EST 2010

Izumi,

not sure what the Egyptian proposal is.

If this means that CSTD (in its governmental format) has to agree on the
report, I think it is not in contradiction with the ECOSOC/UNGA resolutions
:

(The WG) would make recommendations, as appropriate, to the Commission at
its fourteenth session in 2011, in a report that would constitute an input
from the Commission to the General Assembly, through the Economic and Social
Council, should the mandate of the Internet Governance Forum be extended.

*
*

The text seem to imply that the report is just forwarded by the CSTD to the
ECOSOC. If a compromise is to allow the CSTD to formally endorse the report
before it is sent, this could be acceptable.

BUT - and this is a great but - this does not mean that the CSTD should be
allowed to cherry-pick some parts and leave others, or worse, that some
direct editing could be made to change the content before the report is
forwarded.

Having the CSTD - in its intergovernmental format - voting yes or no on the
report is potentially acceptable, but not editing.

In any case, not only can governments members of the WG make their voice
heard during the drafting, but ultimately, governments will have the right
to include what they want in the ECOSOC and UNGA ultimate resolutions, like
they did with the WGIG report recommendations when they were integrated in
the Tunis documents.

This is an opportunity to establish a fundamental principle of the
multi-stakeholder approach : the difference between decision-shaping and
decision-making : a MS group does not have final decision-making power; but
any intergovernmental body it directly reports to should not have the power
to pick and choose, but mainly to endorse or reject.

The outcome is afterwards food for thought in the next stages.

So, in this case, the Chair convenes a MS group. The group produces a
report, that is aknowledged by the CSTD and forwarded - as is - to the
ECOSOC and UNGA : the resolutions say "the report will constitute and input
from CSTD" (ie there can be other inputs). CSTD can, on this basis, produce
a draft resolution that incorporates all or parts of the report, but it is a
separate process and the group report should be available, untouched, for
the ECOSOC and UNGA discussions - even if the draft resolution only retains
some elements.

My two cents. let's see what comes next.

Best

B.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Izumi AIZU <aizu at anr.org> wrote:

> Austria
> I agree that nothing is defined until everything is defined.
> Second proposal – Egypt/Greece to discuss
>
> EU?
>  “Pursue the rules and regulations” in French – it leads open to what
> is applied, but not violate these rules, or vaguer reference to these
> rules
>
> Council of Europe
> We have invested considerably to IGF.
> To have common platform bring stakeholders in equal footing
>

> IGC – called by Chair, even when I did not request for the floor.
> I mentioned equal amount of frustration is fine.
> Our colleagues were expressing some frustration, but the Chair’s
> proposal is in the good direction.
>
> Chair
> We ask India and ??? to come up with amendment to my proposal – in15
> minutes.
>
> <Short Break>

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")